Forum PTG
Pomorskie Towarzystwo Genealogiczne

Strona główna » Poszukiwania » Questions and answers » Best next steps to learn more on ancestors?
Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18929] pon, 10 stycznia 2022 10:15 Przejdź do następnej wiadomości
Alf01 jest aktualnie niedostępny  Alf01
Hello there

Firstly, a massive thank you for all of your work. I live in the UK and have been trying to find details on my grandfather for years using the likes of Ancestry.com and getting nowhere. Having looked at baptisms and marriages on your site I am as certain as I can be (too many coincidences) that I have found details of him, the birth of his brothers and sisters as well as marriage of his parents. He never talked about these details so it's been amazing to learn.

Can you advise on how best to learn more? Specifically, I cannot find details of his parents deaths as well as nmore details on his brothers and sisters. All the children were born between 1910-1919.

I can provide specifics on them if it's helpful. I believe he was conscripted (along with his brothers) into the German army when World War 2 started and fouhght on the Eastern Front. How he ended up in the UK in the early 1940s, fighting with the Polish Resettlement Corps (PRC) is unknown. I will write to the Bundesarchiv to see if they have details as well as the UK National Archives but are there any suggestions that you have to learn more?

Many thanks
Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18946 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18929] pi, 14 stycznia 2022 18:55 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomościPrzejdź do następnej wiadomości
janus jest aktualnie niedostępny  janus
Miejsce: Gdańsk
Hello!

You wrote:
" ..I cannot find details of his parents deaths as well as nmore details on his brothers and sisters. All the children were born between 1910-1919. "

The children were born 1910 - 1919 so parents were born probably between 1875-1892.
Did they live in Germany? In Pomerania? Where?
Do you have their birth certificates? If yes - originals or copies?
It's important, because the originals can contain later annotations (about marriage or death)

Did you search in Arolsen Archive?

Hope to hear from you soon

Kind Regards
Janus Groth
PomTG
Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18947 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18946] nie, 16 stycznia 2022 11:31 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomościPrzejdź do następnej wiadomości
Hello Janus

Thank you for your reply.

My grandfather was born in Kobysewo which I believe was part of Poland at the time of his birth in 1919. However, I have found records in the Przodkowo sections of the birth/baptism searches for him and his siblings which I believe is a short distance from Kobysewo.

I do not have any birth certificates. I don't think my grandfather arrived in England with any documents from Poland. The only documents we have relate to his service in the Polish Resettlement Corp.

Can you advise if there is anyway to obtain copies of the Birth certificates or even further baptism records?

I am not familier with the Arolsen Archives. I will investigate, thank you.

Best wishes
Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18957 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18947] sob, 22 stycznia 2022 18:38 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomościPrzejdź do następnej wiadomości
Hello,

The births from Kobysewa were recorded in Przodkowo (Seefeld) Registry Office (German Amtsbezirk)
1919 Birth records are unavailable in archive yet.
You should write or better call to Registry Office in Przodkowo to receive the records. It may not be so easy.

But you can try to search from the other side.
Find them in church records (1919 are indexed and available online on metryki.genbaza.pl)

As I think you know the name of your great-grandparents. You can try to find their birth metrics from registry office (indexes on our webside, metrics on metryki.genbaza.pl).
In many cases there are late annoations on the metrics.
If not, try to find them on cemetery
for example:
https://billiongraves.pl/cemetery/Przodkowo-nowy-cmentarz/30 4910

Write the names and surnames of your ancestors. Will try to help

Arolsen Search:
https://collections.arolsen-archives.org/en/search/

Sorry for late reply

Kind Regards
Janus
Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18958 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18957] pon, 24 stycznia 2022 11:44 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomościPrzejdź do następnej wiadomości
Hi Janus

Thank you again for your help.

I will spend some time this week exploring the areas you recommend.

I have had a look at Metryki.Genbaza.Pl with the view to registering for an account. It says I need to register to Gen Pol but they aren't accepting any registrations. I don't think I can search without registering?

Is this the registry office for Prodkowo? https://goo.gl/maps/jQbqHD3WZCF33w6x6

I will explore Billiongraves in the meantime. Thank you again for all of your help

Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18959 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18958] pon, 24 stycznia 2022 22:42 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomościPrzejdź do następnej wiadomości
Hello

To browse metrical recources on metryki.genbaza.pl you should register on genpol.pl
There are some errors in the old code of this page, so sotimes it isn't easy.

The 3rd of March this portal will be close.
A new portal will be launched shortly after. Portal without any registration.

Przodkowo USC:
https://www.przodkowo.pl/index.php?s=wpisy&id=58
ul. Kartuska 21
83-304 Przodkowo
tel.: +48 58 5001629
usc@przodkowo.pl

Try to write an email.

Kind Regards
Janus
PomTG
Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18961 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18959] wto, 25 stycznia 2022 11:23 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomościPrzejdź do następnej wiadomości
Thank you very much.

My grandfather had 4 siblings. From further investigation, two are noted down as being christened in Prokowo and 3 in Przodkowo. I will e-mail the registry office for Przodkowo. Do you think they will have the records for Prokowo too?

Many thanks again

Odp: Best next steps to learn more on ancestors? [wiadomość #18963 jest odpowiedzią na wiadomość #18961] wto, 25 stycznia 2022 22:23 Przejdź do poprzedniej wiadomości
Hello,

Prokowo
parish: Chmielno
civil registration: Prokowo USC.
See indexes in our database.

Nowadays Prokowo USC doesn't exist.
For metrics ask in Kartuzy USC.

Kind Regards
Janus
Poprzedni wątek: Help finding a baptismal record